Sunday, January 8, 2012

What kind of onboard activities can I expect while cruising?

There are tons of different options available while cruising. Typically there are fitness related activities, trivia related activities, sports related activities, and crafts related activities available during each cruise. On sea days typically you are able to participate in more than one type of activity often one of each of the above. Some cruise lines even offer culinary experiences, which can range from cooking classes to bartending classes.

As I write I can tell you there was a great co-ed belly flop contest held on the ship today. This is one of those events where the guests are strongly urged to participate in the fun and games. Everyone tends to get a little something for their participation. There are both adult and kids events available and even at times family events.

Most ships publish a newsletter every day. Typically it is published in time for evening turndown service. This allows your cabin attendant to place the information in your cabin so you can review it before the new day begins. For me a ritual before going to bed is to review the activities for the next day and mark those which I want to be sure to consider. I then carry with me all day the planning guide so I can find other activities as I need to fill some time.

If you look for it, there are some cruises available where there will be lots of very special activities. These cruises are usually noted well ahead of time and advertised as such. It is also quite likely that these cruises may also have additional costs. These can be some incredibly exciting cruises if you are seeking out the special activities that will be offered. Culinary cruises are among the ones which come to mind first.

Overall you will find on most of the larger ships (as well as many of the smaller ships) tons of activities available depending on what it is you want to do. You can ask the guest services folks, read the daily activities section of the newsletter you get daily, or check you in-stateroom TV for information about activities  coming up over the next 24 hours or so.
Some special once per cruise activities not to be missed include (these are ones I specifically like) the captains talk, ice carving demonstrations, food carving demonstrations, the belly flop contest, and the farewell show.  There are so many other special events every cruise it is important to keep up with what is going on and attend those activities you like.  It is ultimately up to each cruise to do what they want that will make their own cruise more enjoyable.

2 comments:

  1. Brooks Cruise Services are incredible. They are dedicated to making your Cruise the most memorable possible.
    My first cruise with Brooks Cruise Services was a great one. While I have travel before. Brooks, was able to help me take my cruise to the next level. I connected with his company in search of the perfect story for my proposal to my Fiance. Well, Brooks Cruise services,connected me with people of high rank on board the ship and helped set up everything for the proposal. I could not have made my Engagement story such a success without them.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete